New yarn and scissors pictured on my new folding table.
Friday, August 29, 2008
Thursday, August 28, 2008
No body was home to help me take pictures. So here I am modeling my new vest.
And a side view.
The big bold leather buttons really make a statement. They were a part of my dear departed mother in laws button stash, I'm so glad I got to use them, we think they may have been of one of my dear departed father in laws jackets.
Not wanting the front of the vest to sag or gape when buttoned, I actually sewed the front of the vest together, over lapping one side under the other and it fits very well over my head and hangs nicely to my shape.
The moral here is, keep those scraps you have, there is always something to be made from them.
I came across this cardigan too. I had to have it even though it was a little large for me.
The find of the day was this little beauty, a spider man bean bag for my spider man crazy grandson.
Wednesday, August 27, 2008
Monday, August 25, 2008
I thought I already had some sort of organisation going until I applied the basket storage. I am very happy with the out come.
Saturday, August 23, 2008
To read more about my rag bags, go here.
For an easy tutorial on making the bags, go here.
For an easy bag lining tutorial, go here.
Friday, August 22, 2008
Here is the finished bag, I wanted a big bag, but it turned out bigger than I expected. I have woven a line of beads directly below the plain pink crochet line. The beads consist of cats eye's, painted glass and a cracked glass heart.
Below is the first doona cover I cut into strips. Tutorial here.
This is the second colour of choice, just as I had cut both ends of the cover off, my daughter came down the stairs and yelled to me that this was her doona cover. Woop's. My reply was that she must also have the pillow cases then.
This is my second colour choice and the last of my old doona covers.
So after I had cut strips from about a third of each of the covers, this is how much I have to work with so far, I had to cut more later.
The bag made up reasonably quick. On the final 2 rows of the bag and around the bag handles, I used a light weight cord, that I single crocheted over, to give the upper part of the bag more strength.
I measured and marked where my handles would be made.
Now it was on to lining the bag. I used laughing purples simple bag lining technique.
I was a little apprehensive about the lining, so I would refer back to laughingpurples blog.
I wanted a divider in my big bag, so guess who I went to for help?
Now I did this all on my own. A pocket for my hooks.
Making the pocket. I really had to think about what I was doing here, ironing really helps to give you a sewing seam.
So I'm feeling pretty good at this stage, pockets in and hooks fit.
Then I was brought down to earth, I had sewed the pocket upside down and onto the bottom of the lining, so I had to unpick it, ugh.
Now it is the right way up and I decided to face the pocket with the reverse side facing outwards, to keep the over flaps from the folds on the inside of the pocket.
It actually looks great and the liner fits perfect!
This is just to give you an idea of the size of the bag.
And another look inside.
This is what I picked up at the op shop for 50 cents a pair, there are 3 pairs here and they are now cut up and ready to go for my next project. I love crochet rags, it's so much fun.
And just a few hours later and almost finished, the little rag bag.
They seem to be multiplying
Tips for working with rags.