Thursday, July 28, 2011

Crochet Basic DC Crown



The basic dc crown can be used for the beginning of many hat designs.
The measurements given are an approximate as many yarns will differ from brand to brand.
I am using an AU 8 ply yarn (US 4 ply) and a 4.00mm hook (US G/6)
 The crochet terms I use are US
I will be giving instructions for a small adult and medium to large adult, both reflecting woman's sizes.
Stitches used are:
chain
DC= double crochet
Sl st= slip stitch
Tension: see pictures below for measurements
Notes: the beginning ch 3 is counted as a dc.

To begin: Ch 4 or make a magic ring
Row 1.Work 11 dc into 4th chain from hook, sl st to join in top of ch 3. (12 dc)...(or work ch 3 and 11 dc into the magic ring)
Row 2. Ch 3, work 1 dc in same place as ch 3, work 2 dc in each dc around, sl st to join in top of ch 3 (24 dc)
Row3.  Ch 3, work 2 dc in next dc, *work 1 dc in next dc, work 2 dc in next dc,* repeat from *to* to end, sl st to join in top of ch 3 (36 dc)
Row 4. Ch 3, work 1 dc in next dc, work 2 dc in next dc, *work 1 dc in each of next 2 dc, work 2 dc in next dc,* repeat from *to* to end, sl st to join in top of ch 3 (48 dc)
Row 5. Ch 3, work 1 dc in each of next 2 dc, work 2 dc in next dc, *work 1 dc in each of next 3 dc, work 2 dc in next dc,* repeat from *to* to end, sl st to join in top of ch 3 (60 dc)
Stop increasing here for a small adult hat.
Row 6. Ch 3, work 1 dc in next 3 dc, work 2 dc in next dc, *work 1 dc in each of next 4 dc, work 2 dc in next dc,* repeat from *to* to end, sl st to join in top of ch 3 (72 dc)
Stop increasing here for a medium to large adult hat 
You are now ready to work with out increasing.

Work 1 dc in each st around, sl st to join in top of ch3.
Repeat above round with out increasing for hat height desired.

You also have the option to use a stitch pattern in the hat, once the crown has been established.
If you choose to do this you will need a stitch pattern that is dividable by the amount of st's you already have.
  Keeping in mind that you will be joining the pattern round.
It will not matter too much if you need to increase/decrease a stitch or 2 for this to happen.
The average hat height is about 9 inches or 11 inches with a folded brim.


 We can also work the crown rounds in multiples of 10 dc's, this is particularly useful for the in between sizes and varied tensions.
Using the instructions above begin with 10 dc, increasing in rows to 20, 30, 40, 50, 60, 70.
 
Once again a big thank you to Bobwilson123 for an excellent learning video tutorial!


I hope that you have found these instructions useful.
Please like me on face book or and comment on my face book page for more user information.
I am always more than happy to help.

Google

37 comments:

isaksmom said...

This was so perfect! Thank you for this post!

cats-rockin-crochet said...

thank you isaksmom :)

Anonymous said...

How about a PDF file, so that I can print this out for my wife?

cats-rockin-crochet said...

You an copy and paste this to a word document, the benefit of that is you can enlarge the font too :)

natalie said...

I would like to have the link for the crocodile stitch scarf that you spoke of while doing the video tutorial for the petal beanie hat...thank you, so much...natalie

Darlene said...

Perfect, this is exactly what I was looking for. Thank you for the thorough explanation. :-)

Anonymous said...

It was so easy to make with ur help, but i have one lil problem, i used 3ply yarn and 1.25mm crochet.. my beanie is so small..

cats-rockin-crochet said...

Thank you :) all, sorry your beanie was so small, lol, that is what happens with a different yarn ply and hook :)

Anonymous said...

Hi! Thanks for the pattern. Can you tell me how many rows total it would be for the medium adult beanie after you stop increasing? I have never made a hat before. Thanks!

cats-rockin-crochet said...

Each head is a different size, so just continue making it and try it on as you go, cheers Cat :)

catlux said...

thanks for your video, i has learned how to crochet since i was a little girl, after so many year, i was knit and knit, i forget i can do crochet.
thanks for your video, have me to start my crochet hat for my daughter.

Angel said...

I stoped at row 5. Making this for my friend's daughter. Her head circumstance is 42cm. Please help I don't know what to do next. Without a video to help guide me I'm loss. I just want to continue making the hat.

cats-rockin-crochet said...

continue the hat with out increases. Check out my other baby hat patterns via this link, this may help you.
http://cats-rockin-crochet.blogspot.com.au/search/label/Beanie-Babe

Cheers Cat.

Anonymous said...

i just want to say that you have the best tutorial in you tube. i made my daughter lots of hats in different pattern, including bows and flowers. THANK YOU!

Natasha R Naidu said...

THank you, ________. I wish I knew your name. Made this for my munchkin and accessorised with 2 flowers in contrasting colours. Mentioned you on my blog.
Thank you for so generous tips.
Love from India,
Natasha
http://jezebellesinning.blogspot.in/

cats-rockin-crochet said...

You are welcome Natasha, my name is Cathy. I will visit your blog, cheers Cat...

Ms. Mannix said...

Awesome tutorial. I have a quick question about hat height for adults...9 inches...is this measure from the middle of the crown to bottom?

thanks so much

cats-rockin-crochet said...

yes it is Ms Mannix, just fold the hat in half, then measure from the top to bottom, but of course some heads can be taller or shorter, cheers Cat.

Ms. Mannix said...

Thanks so much.I don't suppose you know of an easy to read and figure out guide for measurements from newborn to adult? I just wanted to know how many inches the crown should be for each and its so complicated looking up sizing charts when they speak of circumference and I do not know my nieces circumferences but I do know their ages. I am wanting to crochet a beanie cap for several family members for Christmas. I broke my knee and have picked up crocheting again to pass the time.

Anyway...if you know of a guide or could post one that shows the crown inches from newborn to adult sizes?? It would be so helpful...

Thanka again for any and all help.

cats-rockin-crochet said...

Ms Mannix, take a look at my link here.
http://cats-rockin-crochet.blogspot.com.au/search/label/Beanie-Babe

also you can try bevscountrycottage site for sizing, cheers Cat.
P.S. hope your knee heals quickly.

countryliving said...

I'm trying to make the small size adult beanie, Crochet Basic DC Crown. I'm new to crochet and comprehend little. I was hoping to make hats for cancer patients. The small size is too big. Could you tell me the stitch count to make it smaller? I'm guessing its about 1 1/2" too big in circumference.
I love the pattern. Just need help.
Thank you.

Cathy Wood said...

stick with the 60 dc and use a smaller size hook, you don't want it smaller than 60 dc, it may be the yarn you are using too, but try the smaller size hook first, hope this helps. 4mm hook

countryliving said...

Thank you, that worked!
When I read your answer I thought to myself.....duh, I should of thought of that.....it's so hard to be blonde.....

Sandrine said...

Bonjour, merci infiniment !! J'ai refait votre tutorial en français à cette adresse => http://ojolitricot.fr.gd/Tutorial-base-chapeau_bonnet-New--ar--ar-.htm
En espérant que cela ne vous gêne pas...
Merci pour vos bases, car je suis débutante dans l'art du crochet.
Bonne continuation ^^

Beverly Cantwell said...

I love your designs. I made the leaf hat and the tezzie hat. They were fast and easy. thank you!

Anonymous said...

Thank you so much you helped me build my chrocheting skills. I've always wanted to make a hat

Anonymous said...

I love this video. I just learned how to crochet and always wanted to make a hat but couldn't find a video that explained it good enough for a beginner, so all the hats that i tried to make didnt turn out right. They like flared out at the bottom and wasn't tight on my head. But I do have one question for this video, after row 6 are you suppose to have 72 chains for the rest of the rows or 73 chains? Please help. Thanks for sharing the video (:

Katlin Thompson said...

I love this hat. Im a beginner and have been trying to learn how to make a hat but i couldn't find a video that explained everything well enough for beginners. Im glad i came across this because it explains everything very well and made it easy for me. I do have one question and that is, after row 6 are you suppose to have 72 chains for the rest of the rows or 73 chains? Please help. Thank you so much for sharing this beautiful hat (: It makes crocheting even more fun LOL.

Cathy Wood said...

you will have 72 st's, cheers Cat :)

Patti said...

Hi Cat!, I am making hats for my sister who has brain cancer and who is undergoing chemo and radiation. I would like to make them with a lighter weight cotton blend yarn (perhaps 3strand). If I need to adjust the patterns for the thinner yarn, how do I adjust them.

Cathy Wood said...

Are you talking about US yarn? The yarn I use is the sample is DK, 4 medium, I', assuming you want to go down 1 size in ply from that, I would make the crown stitch count to 84, hope this helps :)All the very best for your sister.

margaret lecount said...

Thank You,THANK YOU SO much.you have been such a big help for me.can I use this pattern to make a beret? If so how do I go about it? Do you have a pattern for a pattern beret.I just love the way you give your instructions.

Cathy Wood said...

Hi Margaret, I do have a beret pattern on the blog, just search for crochet beret...but the basic idea is to make the crown way too big, crochet a few rounds with it that way then reduce it back to fit, hope this helps :) Cheers Cathy.

Debbie dee said...

Thank you this is a great base for so many designs.Tham you for you pattern and inspiration

Nana said...

I am confused. I came to this site from the which Stitch pattern. If I crochet this crown and then use which stitch am I not going to end up with non-matched rows? Please help before I make a mess.

Cathy Wood said...

No you wont make a mess Nana, please begin with the basic crown.

Anonymous said...

I wanted you to know I used the tutorial and pattern to make my first ever item. I learned about the stuff lives of many sailors through a talk by Andrew from the seafarers mission in Yokohama. So you helped me help someone else. THANK YOU.